1. Is PermaLip™ an injectable product?
2. Why is PermaLip™ different from other techniques used to augment the lips?
3. How do I know the implant is the right size for me?
4. How is PermaLip™ different from other lip implants I have read about?
5. What if I want to have the implant(s) removed?
6. How is lip augmentation performed with the Permalip™ implant?
7. What should I expect post-operatively?
8. Is it quite painful?
9. Is there much bruising?
10. When will I be able to see the results?
11. I have heard that the risk of infection is quite high in lip implants, is this true?
12. How are lip implants comparable to injectables?
13. Will my significant other be able to feel it when we kiss?
14. Can the PermaLip implant leak or rupture?
1. Is PermaLip™ an injectable product? (back to top)
No. Perma Facial Implant is made of soft, solid silicone and can be removed at any time.
2. Why is PermaLip™ different from other lip augmentation techniques? (back to top)
PermaLip offers a permanent alternative to repetitive, costly, and painful filler injections, and strives to overcome the potential complications of permanent injectable and solid implants. PermaLip is contoured to the shape of your lips, has a smooth surface to minimize tissue ingrowth, and is reversible.
3. How do I know the implant is the right size for me? (back to top)
PermaLip™ is available in a variety of diameters and lengths to accommodate the uniqueness of each person’s lip characteristics. During the course of a consultation with your surgeon, it will be determined what PermaLip size is best suited for you.
4. How is PermaLip™ different from other lip implants I have read about? (back to top)
PermaLip is composed of a material ideally suited for use in the lips. Other implants that have been used in the lips utilize substances that can potentially cause “tissue in-growth” into the surrounding lip tissue—in a sense, scarring to the implant itself. This process increases the likelihood of a “tethered” appearance or a restricted, unnatural smile. This potential problem has been minimized due to the surface characteristics and the type of material used to manufacture the PermaLip implant
5. What if I want to have the implant(s) removed? (back to top)
Although PermaLip™ is permanent, it is also designed to be easily reversible should a person wish to return to their original lip appearance.
6. How is lip augmentation performed with the Permalip™ implant? (back to top)
PermaLip™ Lip Enhancement is relatively simple to perform. The mouth and lips are locally anesthetized; then, a small incision is made in each corner of the mouth. The PermaLip™ implant is then passed through a tunnel in the lip and positioned in the center. The process is then repeated for the other lip and the incisions are closed using absorbable sutures.
The process typically takes less than thirty minutes and normal activity may be resumed the following day.
7. What should I expect post-operatively? (back to top)
You should expect to be swollen and slightly tender post-operatively. Depending on the individual, there may be some bruising around the lips as well. The majority of bruising and swelling usually subsides after the first week. Discomfort is usually present for a few days, which will be alleviated by pain medication prescribed by your physician.
8. Is it quite painful? (back to top)
Most discomfort, if present, usually resolves after 24-48 hours, although your lips will be sensitive to light or medium pressure for about 2 weeks.
9. Is there much bruising? (back to top)
There is really not very much bruising with typical cases, although this may vary from person to person. Some patients are more prone to bruising than others.
Some doctors suggest that you take Arnica montana or Bromelain orally to decrease bruising. You may be instructed to use a topical arnica ointment as well. These three products are thought to decrease both bruising and swelling for many surgical procedures including lip procedures.
10. When will I be able to see the results? (back to top)
Your lips will be quite large and swollen in the first few days post-operatively. As the swelling subsides you will begin to see your final result.
11. I have heard that the risk of infection is quite high in lip implants, is this true? (back to top)
Infection is a risk with any surgical procedure. Although one might expect the risk of infection to be high in the mouth area, the observed infection rate with PermaLip has been extremely low, with an expected rate of infection to be below 1%. Patients are prescribed both antibiotics and anti-cold sore medicine to minimize the chance of infection.
12. How are lip implants comparable to injectables? (back to top)
Implants do not wear off like temporary injectables. Temporary injectables are associated with repeat treatments every few months as the body breaks down the filler. Therefore, repetitive, painful, and costly injection procedures are required indefinitely if lip fullness is to be maintained.
On the other hand, permanent, or long-term fillers, also exist. While this type of filler does not need to be repeated regularly, they can be very difficult to remove. If an undesirable appearance results, or if a patient wishes to have their lips revert to their original size, this may be difficult to accomplish. PermaLip has the advantage of being both permanent, yet easily reversible, giving it the best of both worlds.
13. Will my significant other be able to feel Permalip when we kiss? (back to top)
The vast majority of patients report that their partners cannot feel the implants while kissing. The extent to which you can feel the implant depends upon whether or not you had very thin lips beforehand. If you had thin lips and then had a large implant placed into a tight space it is quite possible to be able to feel the change.
Your surgeon will recommend the best size implant for you… given your existing lip characteristics and your desired goals.
14. Can the PermaLip implant leak or rupture? (back to top)
No. PermaLip is unique in that it is manufactured from a very soft, but solid, silicone.